Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week Three: Day Three and Four

Do you ever feel like you are over committed but they are all good things to be doing? I feel this way alot. I tend to over commit to make sure I am doing what He wants me to do. I realized after reading Day 3 that He doesn't always want us so busy with so many things but to focus on the things He wants us to be doing. A hard one to put into practice but one to definitely work on.

Wow is all I can say about the virtuous woman. I want to be like her!!! I know I am lacking in several areas but I am so glad that I have Proverbs 31 to remind me what I can and should be doing. Something to definitely strive towards!!!

3 comments:

  1. This study has definitely made me more aware of God throughout my day--even the seemingly insignificant stuff. I don't really feel over committed, and I just feel so tired sometimes that I just don't get things done. I have the time; I just want to take a nap instead of working...

    When I listed all my roles, family is where most of my time is spent, and to be truthful, it's exhausting. With my dad sick, and me trying to get Sutton and Elliot over to their house often to see him and my mom, I feel like we're running around all the time. We barely have a routine anymore, and I feel most comfortable with a routine. E

    Writing this actually has made me re-evaluate my earlier statement about being overcommitted. I kind of feel over committed to my family, not Jack and the girls, but my parents. But, I can't believe that God would want me to go see them less...since I don't know how long Dad will be with us, don't you think God would want us to spend as much time with him as possible? So, I don't really know what the solution is...I think we're kind of in a holding pattern. I guess if I can't (and don't want to) cut back with them, I need to focus a little less on something else. What? is the question...

    At this moment I haven't completed Day 4, but I glanced at it last night, and wow, does the first part sum up how I feel very often when I compare myself with other women and moms--I don't get enough done, I stink at keeping the house clean, I'm not creative, I'm tired and want to take naps and it keeps me from doing the things I need, etc. I feel frumpy and way less "cool" (if I ever could have been considered cool) than I did just 4 years ago. It's not even kids, it's really disposable income. I hate that too...I sound so shallow, but I really miss buying nice clothes and feeling good in what I'm wearing. I miss it more that manis/pedis!!!! So, the verses we've been reading totally speak to me, but I almost find myself resistant because I just want to keep wanting nice things--I'm a work in progress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to say you are not alone in comparing yourself to other moms. I do it all the time and feel like I don't measure up. I have to say for sure I am also a work in progress. So glad you shared!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Through this study and other gatherings recently in my life, I've realized that I'm not the only one that struggles in wanting to be more than I am. Doing more, accomplishing more, etc. I used to look at other women and think "wow! They've really got it together. How do they do that? I want to be them!" Now, I've come to realize that everyone deals with some type of struggle, and was told to take some of the attributes you see in people and try to incorporate them into your life. Don't try to be them, because that will never happen.
    SECONDLY, and what has hit me the hardest is to live for now. There are "seasons" in your life, not only through out the year but through the ages. By wanting and waiting for a different season you are missing out on what is now. I'll never have another newly wed season with no kids, just to enjoy my time with my husband. Why am I so rushed to have kids and "I can't wait to do this", etc. I even had a friend who has a young daughter that said I can't wait till she's a little older so she can take a bath by herself... she paused and actually thought about what she said. She doesn't want to miss out on these years and push her to be older, because by the time shes 13 she wont want anything to do with her.
    If I've learned anything through these last couple of weeks, it's slow down and enjoy the now. Trials and tribulations will be there but GOD will get you through it. If he put you in it he can get you through it.

    ReplyDelete